Poetry and the like, by Amy Opal Marshall


Saturday 4 January 2020

Confessional About Those Parts; or, Eve, What Have You Done?


I think they look odd -
     Those parts and the one down below
I'm not sure why they're there
I've never been sure if they fit the rest of me.

I don't think they look quite right
I don't know if God sewed them on
     As much as that they just
          grew like tumors and
               I'm not sure they're benign.

A little over half my life ago I changed from who I used to be
     ... I'm not sure about that.
But now they're always right there
     in front of me, yet
I'm not sure they're really part of Me -
     Maybe more like my shadow?

No one sees them but me -
     and that not very much; A few minutes
          or a few seconds
     And I hide them again
          after a double-take
     And I'm not sure how I feel about them.

They're for appreciating, I've heard
     But they must stay covered, I've heard
          So I think they will
               "exist" unappreciated; I'm only allowed
to share them with
     someone who doesn't exist
          So I think I will never be freed
               to like them.

I'm not sure how I can be
     So disconnected from something so connected
     But sometimes I wish I could get them off me.

They're not even like the ones on the others
     They're small like maybe they're not
          meant to be there
And they make the clothes not fit right
So I look like What is that supposed to be.

If she
     could see them and touch them
          and love them
Then I'm sure I could, too
     But right now they are strangers to me.

But maybe a few times a year I think maybe
     I like them, I'm not sure.


No comments: