Poetry and the like, by Amy Opal Marshall


Monday 6 April 2020

12 West Monroe


I breathe
Between
The healing places.

Body of Christ
     to the north,
Right near Saint Francis -
House of prayer and
     house of healing
Always must go together.

Across the waterfall,
     under the Great Mountain,
Is the Saint's cathedral -
Pulsing green with a blue dome,
Teeming with his Sisters and Brothers,
     and it's a wonder
And no wonder
     the baptismal waters
Flow into the heart of the city.

That's my southern border -
The place I learn to die.
It's also where I rise from the River,
     and feed on the Body and Blood;
Where my blind eyes see
     and where I stretch out my withered hand
In the presence of the Body, the Saints, the Family.

North and east,
West and south -
There's restoration in this house
     and all around.
That is why I breathe here,
Invited to heal.

No comments: